Welcome to Welfare Rights Initiative-Spring 2018!
Welfare Rights Initiative (WRI) is a student advocacy and leadership training program located at Hunter College.
WRI is proud to lead the effort to expand access to education for all students. We are excited that our work has resulted in good first steps laws and policies that allow four-year college class and homework time to count toward required work activity for public assistance. It is important that you understand how to make best use of these law and policy changes to continue your college studies.
So what does this mean for students right now?
- Work-study (which can be obtained through the FAFSA application process and via HRA), internship, and externship hours always count toward the HRA-required work activity hours.
- Class, lab, homework, and supervised tutoring hours may count toward required hours for up to 12 months.
- HRA must accommodate a student’s academic schedule in the assignment of any additional work activities.
You can connect with WRI in several ways:
- Call WRI’sphone line, 212-650-3592, to obtain information on how to stay in school while receiving public If you are a student, please call WRI’s phone line to make an appointment as soon as you receive your FIA letter.
- Attend a WRI Know Your Rights Training workshop. WRI’s next KYR’s training will take place on Wednesdays February 21st, 2018, March 21st, 2018, and April 18th, 2018. Hunter North, 3rd Floor, Room 302, 1:30pm-3:00pm.
- Come to our Walk-In Hours for information on your rights on Wednesdays, 1:30pm-3:00pm in Hunter North, Room 302 or call to make an appointment.
- Learn more about WRI’s 2-semester WGS/SOC (credit-bearing) Community Leadership Program for fall 2018 semester—contact Dillonna C. Lewis, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212-650-3569 for more information.
Our goal is to connect Hunter College students to existing laws and policies that can help you stay in school and we are excited to work with you this semester. Come see us in Hunter North, Room 302; call our phone line 212-650-3592 and/or visit our website or connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.
Dillonna C. Lewis-WRI Co-Executive Director
Maureen Lane-WRI Co-Executive Director
Roxanna Henry-WRI Legal Advocacy Organizer